Should you wait until after the holidays to list your home? If listed before the holiday season, should you leave your home on the market or take it off? Consider these pros and cons of selling during the holidays.
- The Buyers who are actively looking for a new home at this time of year tend to be more serious about buying. After all, they're likely using precious time off from work to pound the pavement.
- Being on the market during the holiday season means you'll face less competition from other sellers; less available inventory means your property will benefit from increased exposure at this time of year.
- Between the season lights, decorations, and scents, your home may feel more welcoming and look more appealing- in other words, show better- during the holidays than at any other time of year.
- Prospective buyers might assume that homeowners selling during the holidays must be desperate to sell and, as a result, may lower their offer price accordingly.
- Accommodating showings and keeping your home neat and clean can be difficult enough at any time of year, but during the holidays, when you likely have a busier calendar and more stuff around your home, living a show-ready existence may be a bigger challenge.
- With people taking time off and businesses closing during the holdidays, it may take a little more effort to close the transaction in a timely manner.
Despite the holiday bustle, this can certainly be the most wonderful time of the year to sell. Give your real estate representative a call to discuss your personal circumstances, and to get an update on local market conditions before making your decision.